The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Town

Nicaragua is divided into 17 areas known as departments.  I live in the department capital of Boaco, Boaco, a small city reminiscent of San Francisco in that it is built on a series of very steep hills.  Known as “la ciudad de dos pisos” (city of two floors), Boaco is well-known by Nicaraguans for its hand-made cowboy accessories and cuajada, a type of salty cheese.  The rainy season has already kicked-in, bringing a beautiful green to the hills and a slew of mosquitos into my room.

There is a large market abajo where one can find anything from fresh produce to knock-off Converse shoes.  Anything you can´t find here is usually available in Nicaragua´s capital city of Managua, which is about a two-hour bus ride away.  Buses leave for Managua every 30 minutes to an hour and cost 30 córdobas ($1.40) one way.





Believe it or not, this is a Catholic church. . .

The woman from whom I buy my mangoes.






Walking through the hills of Boaco is known as “sube y baja” and everyone here has calves of steel.  If you are not in the mood to walk up and down hills, however, there are a number of staircases you can use to get from one “floor” to the next.  Pictured above is the “Bailante” staircase, so named because a monument to a folkloric Boacan dancer rests at the top, overlooking the city.   



Huge celebrations I have witnessed since I´ve been here:

Mother´s Day
Father´s Day
Sandinista rallies
Claro (cellphone company) promotion
53rd Anniversary of the local junior high school
7th Anniversary of the founding of the Mayor´s office
Children´s Day
Teachers´Day

I´m probably forgetting a few.  In other words, Nicas LOVE to throw parties!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Congratulations on becoming an "auntie". Being an aunt is absolutely FABULOUS! You know how much I adore my nieces! I spoiled them and then returned them to their mother (who also spoiled them!) Through your niece you may meet a beautiful young person who grows up to join the Peace Corps! I did! It could happen! Love you Elizabeth! --Amy

    ReplyDelete