The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Adjusting

It is getting more and more difficult to find time to write.  I am very busy with Spanish homework, and the entire Nica 55 group has been meeting in different locations (Diriamba, Managua, Masaya) for technical classes. 
The clearest version of a map of Nicaragua I could find online.
The classes take all day and by the time I get back to my training town in Carazo, the sun has vanished and so too has the opportunity to walk to the “other side of town” to post on my blog.


I purchased a guitar last week in Diriamba.  It cost 2,085 cόrdobas ($100) for a nylon-string Suzuki and a red canvas case.  I had been hording a $100 bill for this very reason, but with the romantic notion that I might find a hand-crafted Nicaraguan guitar.  No such luck.  My cousin Valeska accompanied me to the bank and guitar shop.  When I have a free moment during the day I fill it with music.  My sobrinos love to listen.
 
One of the girls in my training group (Lenka) became very ill last week.  We predict food poisoning.  The symptoms only lasted one day, but she was sent to Managua as a precaution.  She has vowed to reject any beef offered by her host family in the future.

I went to the baptism of my Nica cousin´s son and the last trainee was the godmother!  I have some big shoes to fill.  At the beginning of her training Melissa was at the same Spanish level as I am, and now she is as fluent as the next Nica!  There is hope for me yet.  She works in environmental health and was assigned a very small pueblo in Boaco for her two year service.

I have had the opportunity to attend two Ipicas, one in Diriamba and other in Santa Theresa.  An Ipica is basically a parade of horses and an excuse to party.  Lots of people, loud rhythmic music, and beer.  It is a rather dangerous event, to be honest, because most of the people riding have put back a few and the horses look a bit dehydrated.  In any event, I am pleased that I was able to sample a taste of the Nicaraguan culture.

Pictures to come, this computer did not detect my camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment