The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, January 10, 2011

FAQ

When do you leave?
     I leave for Arlington, Virginia, at 6:10am from Oakland on January 10th.  I will stay for two nights in a Holiday Inn (paid for by the Peace Corps) and receive a very brief orientation where I will be able to meet the other 44 volunteers in my field in Nicaragua.  Very early in the morning on the 12th we will fly down to Managua, Nicaragua via Miami, Florida.


Where will you be?
     For the first five days I will be with the other volunteers in Granada.  On Saturday the 15th, we will be assigned to our training sites.  After that, I have absolutely no idea where I will be. . .

What can you bring?
     I was allotted 80 pounds and 107 inches of checked bags and one carry-on.  I don’t want to bore anyone with my packing list, but thank you to those who did help me pack last night!  I almost had a breakdown trying to make it all fit.  How do you pack for a two year journey?!?

Do you know anyone else who is going?
   No.  But I will.

What will you do?
     My official title is Maternal and Child Health Promoter.  The Peace Corps is partnered with a Nicaraguan NGO called MINSA who works with this population.  So far that is all I know. . .

Where will you live?
     I will be living with a host family during the three month training period and the first three months of service.  After that I will be on my own. 

Can you visit the US during your service?
     Yes.  Volunteers receive two days of vacation for every month of service.  I plan to fly home around December 2011 once I accrue some vacation days.

How will you be able to communicate?
     I will have access to phones, the internet, and mail.  The real question is how often.  My mailing address in Nicaragua is currently:

PCT   Elizabeth Malenk
Cuerpo de Paz ~ Nicaragua
Apartado Postal # 3256
Managua, Nicaragua, Centro América


Are you nervous or excited?
     I am only excited.  This is the chance of a lifetime and I am taking it!

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    Your party was fantastic! So many guests. Anxiously awaiting your next installment. Be safe. Love, Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I wish I could have given you a big hug before you left, but know it is with you and you'll feel it when you most need it! I'm so happy that you are keeping this blog. I can feel the excitement! And, I'm very proud of you. Have an amazing experience, learn lots, and we'll be seeing you.
    Love,
    Mary Frances

    ReplyDelete